Dial 317! INDIANAPOLIS Area to get new area code overlay
March 3, 2016
Get ready to dial 317 soon, even for local calls. The Indianapolis area is getting a new area code overlay, because we are running out of numbers using the existing 317 area code.
- New area code is 463
- How to remember: 463 spells IND on the keypad.
- Customers with existing 317 phone numbers will keep them.
- When the area code overlay starts, all local calls will require 10-digit dialing with area codes.
- Local calling areas won't change.
- A six-month grace period starts on March 19, 2016. During the grace period, you’ll be able to complete local calls with either 7 or 10 digits.
- Starting on October 17, 2016, new numbers will be assigned using either the 317 area code or the new 463 area code.
- Any safety and security equipment, including medical alert devices and alarm systems, must be programmed to use 10-digit dialing.
- Calls that were local before 10-digit dialing will still be local. Rates and local calling areas do not change because of 10-digit dialing or a new area code.
If you need to call us, our number, all 10 digits of it, is 317.852.7000.